- Deploys quickly and easily
- Tested to withstand over 550 lbs. of external force
- Laser-cut out of solid 12 gauge carbon steel (.104” thick)
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tested
- Industrial-strength rubber pads
- Proudly manufactured in the USA
- Patented design and function
- Hanging bracket
- Mounting hardware
STEP 1: Locate your door closer
Door closers are located on the upper corner, hinged side of an outward opening door (the “push side” of the door).
STEP 2: Measure your closer
**PLEASE NOTE- ANGLE OF CLOSER ARMS MAY VARY DUE TO AGE, BRAND OR INSTALLATION.**
With the door closed, measure the distance between points A & B as illustrated below. Measure from the door side of the arm (point A) near the bend (or within 1⁄2 inch of bend) to the room side of the second arm (point B), or any other obstruction that would impede the Sleeve from sitting properly. This measurement should be taken perpendicular to the door.
For the most accurate measurement possible, make sure your tape measure is perpendicular to the door when you take this measurement.
**On this measurement we recommend that if you are between two measurements (ex. 3 1/4” or 3 1/2” choose the 3 1/4” ) choose the smaller measurement.
STEP 3: Select your Sleeve²
With the dimension obtained in Step 2 above, round down to the nearest 1⁄4 inch to determine the proper size of The Sleeve2 required for that door. You’re DONE!
E.g., measuring perpendicular to the door between the arms you obtain a measurement of 4-3/16 inches. Therefore, rounding down to nearest 1⁄4 inch you would select The Sleeve2 – 4.25 Inches.
*Note: the angle of closer arms even if they appear to all be common in a facility could vary due to substituted brands, installation or age. Before assuming all doors in a facility are common, you should always double check.
In a crisis situation, seconds count in one place you don't want to be is in the hallway trying to lock your door and exposing yourself to a potential threat. This is why a fighting chance solutions created the sleeve. A 12 gauge carbon steel cover that slides over your door closer, securing your door from the inside. For a successful deployment of the sleeve, please follow these six steps. Step one, scan the room for the location of the sleeve, step to remove the sleeve and walk to the door. Step three, make sure your sleeve is right side up, so the open channel, the sleeve is facing the floor, and the this side, visible sticker is facing into the room. If you can't see the sticker or the words are upside down, readjust the sleeve. Step four, place the sleeve, the narrow end of the door closer again, making sure that the yellow label is facing into the room and his right side up. Step five, slide the sleeve on the closer arm as far as it will go. The sleeve should fit snug against the arms of the door closer. Step six, once the sleeve is on, move away from the door.
Recommended Deployment Practices
- The Sleeve can ONLY be used during active shooter situations, otherwise it is a violation of fire code.
- The Sleeve should be secured and only accessible to trained and authorized individuals.
- The Sleeve should never be used as a door locking device other than during an active shooter event.
- The Sleeve should be removed from the door and secured as soon as the emergency event is over and an all clear order has been given, in accordance with emergency response procedures.